QuickBooks(QB) is the trusted accounting software to manage day-to-day accounting activities. With this tool, you may receive QuickBooks Error 6190 on your screen. It means QB is unable to open the company file on your computer. The reason behind getting error 6190 is a damaged network or company file. On the other hand, this error suggests that multiple users try to open the file.
As a result, users lose all the important data stored in the directory. It is essential to resolve this error before it damages the database. A single mismatch between information can cause the whole QuickBooks software crash. This post will show you the simple steps to resolve QB error 6190.
What Is QuickBooks Error Code 6190?
QuickBooks error code 6190 is the code that appears when multiple users try to open the company file. A single mode system restricts the data and shows error codes 6190 and 816 on the screen. You can’t access the business data unless this issue is fixed.
This message is a mismatch between the QB transaction and company files. Once this error is diagnosed, it can be resolved by applying proper methods.
Getting this error message on screen means:
- Slow performance of windows and system.
- Software crash due to error.
- QB Multi-user mode is not responding.
- System freeze issue.
- Unable to access the company files and data.
What Are The Causes Of QB Error 6190?
There are different causes behind getting the QB 6190 error on the screen. Most users don’t know why this error occurs and perform the wrong diagnosis process. Here are the causes of getting error 6190 in QuickBooks:
- Corrupt company files in the QB database.
- Multi-users try to access company files in single-user mode.
- Connection issue between server and workstation.
- When the user tries to access the data from an external source.
- A damaged QuickBooks network descriptor file.
- Incomplete or corrupt software installation.
- Company files were deleted accidentally.
- Attack of malware or virus on the database.
How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 6190 And 816?
First of all, the QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 are the same thing. Most of the users considered both the error code different. Follow these methods to resolve the 6190, 816 error message.
Solution 1: Use The Quickbooks File Doctor Tool
QB offers a file doctor tool that deals with general issues in files. When you cannot access company files, it is best to use a file repair tool.
Follow these steps to repair company files:
- Firstly, log in to your QuickBooks account.
- After that, tap on the Help tab and choose the QuickBooks Tool hub option.
- Now, download the installation file QuickBooksToolHub.exe to a system location.
- Then, click the Run installation button.
- After completing the installation process, open the QB tool hub.
- Next, navigate to the Company file issues tab.
- Select the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- Finally, select the files and Run the repair process.
You must wait 15-20 minutes until the tool repairs the damaged files. After that, restart your QB software and open the files. Now, check if it still shows QuickBooks error 6190, -816 on screen.
Solution 2: Rename The Company Files
The other way to resolve QuickBooks Error 6190 816 is to rename the files. The damaged files end with.ND and .TLD in QB. Follow the steps given below to rename the files:
- First of all, open your Windows File Manager.
- After that, go to the QuickBooks installation directory.
- Now, search for company files that end with .TLD and . ND extension.
- Then, right-click on the file and select the Rename option.
- Next, add the .OLD file extension at the end of each company file name.
- In the end, restart the QuickBooks and open company files again.
If you still get the error 6190, follow the next step.
Solution 3- Update QuickBooks Software
In this step, you need to update your QuickBooks software. The reason for not changing the transaction log file can cause error codes 6190 and 816 messages. Follow these steps to update QB software:
- Firstly, log in to your QuickBooks desktop software.
- Tap on the Help tab and select the Update QB Desktop option.
- After that, click the Option tab and select the Save option.
- Tap the Update Now button.
- Then, select the Get Updates option and check to mark all available options.
- Finally, reboot your system and check for errors again.
Solution 4- Check Single User-Mode
One of the main causes of getting QuickBooks Error 6190 is using multi-user mode. To check a single-user mode, follow the steps given below:
- First, verify all the users are logged out from the QuickBooks account.
- After that, Reboot all your PCs and use your multiple users.
- Now, Copy The Data Files back to the original location.
- Finally, Login again to the QB account.
Check out the files and see if QB still shows the errors 6190, 816.
Solution 5- Install Database Server Manager
Another solution to resolve QB errors is to install a database server. Most of the time, QuickBooks cannot connect the database with the server. As a result, users cannot access the company’s data and files. To install the QB database server, go through these steps:
- First of all, install the QB database server manager on your server.
- Go to the window’s search bar and enter QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Now, open the database manager.
- After that, click the Update button to check the latest updates.
- Next, restart the server and open QuickBooks on all workstations and servers.
Try to open the files again in QB and see if it still shows an error message.
Solution 6- Run The QuickBooks Refresher Tool
Another QB tool used to resolve error 6190 is the refresher tool.
To run the QuickBooks refresher tool, go through the steps given below:
- First of all, Close the QuickBooks desktop on all your PCs.
- After that, download the QB Refresher tool.
- Now, open the QBRefresherv1.exe file.
- Next, click on the Fix My QuickBooks button.
- Wait for the diagnosis process to complete.
- Finally, open the QB desktop again and check for errors.
Solution 7: Delete Temporary Files
It is important to delete the temporary files to keep your software free from errors. Here’s how you can delete all temporary files and folders:
- First of all, open the Search bar and type Run.
- Press the Ctrl+R+Enter keys simultaneously.
- In the window dialog box, type cleanmgr.
- Next, press the Enter key to proceed further.
- After that, select the junk files and click the OK button.
After deleting the temporary files, restart the computer. You will see the QB error will disappear.
Getting QuickBooks Error 6190 is common when users try to open company files. It occurs when multi-users try to access data from single-user mode. As a result, it causes various issues like software freeze, unresponsive windows, etc. Follow the solutions mentioned in the post to resolve this QB error. You can call our experts for instant assistance if you face any issues.
MWJ Consultancy is a certified accounting firm that offers bookkeeping and tax services. Our experts are experienced in resolving the issues related to QuickBooks, Quicken, Sage, Xero, TurboTax, TurboCash, etc. To get instant assistance in accounting software, contact us now.