While performing the accounting tasks online, users may encounter QuickBooks has stopped working or won’t open issues. It hurts whenever online tasks get interrupted by this type of error message. QB is the cloud-based software that offers accounting functions. As a result, businesses and individuals depend on it for daily tasks.
The reason behind getting this error is the problem caused by the program. However, this QB issue resolves with proper knowledge of methods. Most users perform the wrong troubleshooting steps, which cause the software to crash. That’s why performing the right process to resolve this error is essential. Here are the different methods to solve the QB error.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Issue
You start seeing the message “QuickBooks isn’t responding or stopped working” for different reasons. This error signifies something is wrong with your system or QB account. You need to know the causes of this issue.
Here’s why your QuickBooks suddenly stopped working:
- You didn’t download QB properly.
- There are corrupted files in your program.
- The hard drive of your system gets damaged.
- The operating system of your windows doesn’t work properly.
- Malware attacks your system.
- There is an absence of the QBWUSER.INI file in the system.
- The name of the company file is too long.
- Incorrect Internet setting, which restricts QB form work properly.
Signs Of QuickBooks Isn’t Working Properly
It is important to know the signs when a QB is not working properly on your system. Knowing these helps you get the right support from experts. Here are the common signs you might face:
- The QB starts to freeze and won’t respond.
- Your system shuts down automatically.
- QuickBooks automatically stopped working.
- You are not able to perform simple tasks due to slow software speed.
- QB start crashes from time to time.
- You receive the error message ” QuickBooks stop working” on the screen.
- You can’t open your company files in QB.
- QuickBooks desktop doesn’t open.
- A device attached to the software also stops responding.
Different Methods To Resolve QuickBooks Have Stopped Working Error
Various methods are used to resolve this QB issue. Each method is tested, which ensures your software’s safety and solves the problem. Here are different methods to resolve QuickBooks stopped working issue:
Method 1: Repair The Affected Hard-Disk
One of the main causes of QuickBooks won’t respond to the corrupt part of the hard disk. You can repair these blocks by following the below steps:
- First, open the Windows File Manager.
- After that, right-click on C-Drive.
- Now, select the Properties option.
- Then, click on the Check Now button.
- Next, tick the boxes that state Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan For An Attempt Recovery.
- Finally, click on the Start button.
- In the end, wait for the repair process and restart windows.
Method 2: Edit QBUSER.Ini File Name
In the next method, you need to edit the QBWUSER.INI file. It is the File that stores the product registration information. To edit this File, follow the steps below:
- First of all, open the Window File Manager.
- After that, find the QBWUSER.INI file.
- Now, select the Search option and open the Folder.
- Then, go under the View tab and select Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option.
- Next, click on the Apply button.
- Tap on the OK button.
- Now, right-click on the File and choose the Rename option.
- After that, add .OLD at the end of QBUSER.INI file name.
- Finally, open the QuickBooks again.
Check if the QB error is resolved or not. If you still face the issue, then follow the next method.
Method 3: Run QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool
The diagnostic tool of QB is specifically designed to solve various issues. Here are the steps shown to run the QuickBooks diagnostic tool:
- Firstly, download QuickBooks Diagnostic Tools from the tool hub.
- After that, double-tap on the Diagnostictool.exe File.
- Now, start the Installation Process and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Next, double-tap the QB Tool icon to run it on the desktop.
- Moreover, select the Program problems in the QB tool hub.
- Then, click on Quick Fix My Program.
- Follow the prompts and complete the process.
- Finally, restart the QuickBooks software.
Check for the QuickBooks Messaging Has Stopped Working error again. If you still face the issue, follow the next method.
Method 4: Reinstall QuickBooks
To fix the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Has Stopped Working error, reinstall the QB software.
Here are the simple steps you need to follow:
- Firstly, Uninstall your QuickBooks desktop.
- After that, Reinstall the software by checking system specifications.
- Now, visit the QB tool hub and select the QuickBooks Clean Install tool option.
- Next, select the version of software you want to reinstall.
- Moreover, select the Continue button.
- Follow the on-screen steps to complete the installation process.
- Finally, Restart your computer and Open QB desktop.
Method 5: Open the File in New Folder
If you are still getting the QuickBooks MAPI has stopped working error, you need to open the File in the new Folder. Follow the step-wise process to complete the process:
- First of all, hit the Windows + E key.
- Navigate to the data file, which ends with .qbw.
- After that, Right-click the File and select the Copy option.
- Next, please create a new folder in the C drive and name it QBTEST.
- Then, Paste the copied file into the Folder.
- Moreover, press the Ctrl key while launching QB.
- Select Restore or Open An Existing Company option.
- Finally, check if the QB error message is resolved or not.
In case the error QuickBooks server manager has stopped working still appears, check the next method.
Method 6: Run The QB Refresher Tool
The last method which is well tested is to run the QB refresher tool. To run this tool, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, Close your QB software.
- After that, download the QuickBooks Refresher tool.
- Now, tap on the Run option and complete the installation process.
- Then, click on the Fix My QuickBooks option.
- Moreover, wait for a few minutes until the QB diagnoses the issues.
- Lastly, open your QB and verify the issue.
Method 7: Create A New Admin User
To fix the installation issue, create a new admin user in windows. Here is the process you need to follow:
- First, click the Start tab and open the Control Panel.
- Now, tap the Add or Remove User Accounts link.
- After that, click on Create A New Account option.
- Then, type the account name and choose to Create Admin Account button.
- Finally, open the company file in your New Admin account.
Here are proven and tested methods to fix the QB that has stopped working.
Getting the QuickBooks Has Stopped Working message is common in software. This issue occurs due to corrupt files, hard disk, and operating system. You can easily resolve this issue by applying the methods shown above. Call our experts for assistance if you face any difficulty while applying steps.
MWJ Consultancy provides services related to top accounting software like QuickBooks, Quicken, Sage, Xero, TurboTax, TurboCash, and many more. Our certified technicians are available 24/7 to resolve errors or issues. Also, use our bookkeeping, year-end finalizing, and tax filing services to increase efficiency. To know more, contact us now.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are different methods to fix the QB stopped working issue:
- Uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks.
- Run QB diagnostic tool.
- Open the company file in the new Folder.
- Disable antivirus software.
- Verify Internet connectivity.
Click here to get the step-by-step guide.
There could be many reasons for getting a QB not working error. Some of the common causes are shown below:
- Damaged hard-disk.
- Corrupted program files.
- Incorrect QB installation.
- Malware attacks on software.
- Absence of QBUSER.INI file.
If the QB doesn’t open, use the diagnosis tool. You can easily download it from the tool hub. After running the diagnosis, restart the software.